Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Fight Against Dandruff

During my natural journey I have been forced to come to terms with a lifelong problem of mine... dandruff.  My dry scalp has haunted me since my childhood.  While relaxing, my scalp was so dry I was inevitably subjected to chemical burns; even after a full application of sensitive scalp before the relaxer.  Now, it seems as if my natural hair increases the amount of dandruff on my scalp.  I have found that no matter how much I wash/oil my scalp. The dandruff persists. So I have declared war on my dry scalp.

First Battle: Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil (Fail)

Of course, there is no product that you can apply topically to your hair to make it grow.  However, I felt this oil mixture might just be the weapon I need in this battle.  This product was a dud.  Not only does the dandruff continue to thrive, but my hair feels greasy after application.

2nd Battle: Head & Shoulders with Almond Oil (fail) 

This weapon backfired on me!!!  My skepticism on Head&Shoulders was fueled by the company's failure to direct this product to different ethnicities.  Yet, my open mind told me that I still may have use for it.  So I bought a huge bottle from Sam's Club and tried it out for a couple of weeks.  Problem #1: this shampoo burns like hell when in contact with your eyes.  I am used to milder shampoos that don't cause much damage to your eyes upon contact so my shampoo process became extremely painful during this trial.  Problem #2: after shampooing I discovered (multiple times) that I had a layer of white film on my scalp.  Back to the store we went.

3rd Battle: Argan Oil, Lavender Mint Shampoo, & Coconut Oil Root Spray
Argan oil from Morocco is the next new thing in the beauty world; equivalent to the beauty secrets of olive oil and aloe vera.  The pure oil spreads very well making the supply last for a while.  Hollywood Beauty's version contains silicones making it a thicker spread.  This product does not make my hair feel greasy and it smells great.  It costs around $8 at Rose's. 
The tingling sensation I experienced during a salon visit was new and intriguing to me.  The stylist explained to me that it was a teatree solution to help with my dandruff.  I've been on the search ever since.  After taking the Head&Shoulders back, I was in need of a new shampoo.  While walking around the SmartStyle salon in Walmart I found this on sale for $9.09 (including tax).  The shampoo has a very clean scent to it due to the lilac and spearmint extract.  The tingling sensation I experienced in my first encounter with teatree oil is not quite there; however, a new refreshing element is present.  Time will tell if this shampoo is right for me.
I am in love with this spritz!!!  With this product I feel I am taking a step in the right direction.  For naturals, adding a moiturizing spritz to our routine improves the health of our hair.  The key elements in this product our Water, Coconut Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, & Peppermint Oil.  Since the first ingredient is water, the spray is not heavy on my hair so I don't have to worry about product build up. It's light and spreads easily across my scalp.  I love this product for protective styles to refresh my scalp in between washes.

No comments: