Thursday, October 13, 2011

Product Review: Homemade Exfoliating Sugar Scalp Scrub

Smell: The scent of the Australian Tea Tree Oil is overpowering in its potency.  However, I believe this is an easy fix since I didn't use essential oils with this mixture. If you can stand the scent of the tea tree oil during application you should be fine without essential oils since the scent rinses out.

Texture: Obviously since it is a scrub (with sugar) the texture will be grainy.  You will do just fine using your fingertips for application since the product is not noticeably sticky.  When I washed my hands after application, they were extremely soft.  My mixture was very thick, however for liquid results and easier application with an applicator brush you can use double the amount of ACV.

Application: I parted smaller sections of hair in the front and the crown to ensure better coverage since these sections are my problem areas when it comes to dandruff. I parted bigger sections in the back.  In each part, I scrubbed the product directly into the scalp.  In the front, where I could see, I scrubbed until my scalp was no longer white from dryness.  It was not painful and my scalp responded immediately.

Rinsing: This I feel is the best part! While I stood under the shower massaging my scalp, the warmth of the water melted the sugar away soaking all the ingredients into my pores.  No more worrying about getting all the shampoo out! My scalp felt so clean that I didn't feel the need to shampoo (a first).  Instead, I co-washed, something I've never felt comfortable doing before!!!

Results: A clean, skin-colored, dandruff free scalp. And a happy naturalista!

No comments: