Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Fight Against Dandruff cont. My Story

     I have recently self-diagnosed myself with either Seborrheic Dermatitis or Psoriasis (both conditions cause a severe case of dry scalp and dandruff).  Since I was a little girl, I struggled with the fact that my dandruff was abnormal in its abundance.  I remember countless sessions of laying in my mother or sister's lap while they scratched the dandruff out of my hair.  As I type, I can imagine readers wincing at the thought of this seemingly painful practice; however, I can assure you the sessions were so regular I felt nothing and even came to see it as somewhat therapeutic. 
     The switch from relaxed to natural has made my struggle with dandruff and dry scalp more intense. Since natural african american hair is dryer than other hair types, I have begun to lose the fight against dandruff. Searching for oils, shampoos, sprays and basically anything that will offset the white specs that inhabit my scalp and hair strands has drained me of money and hope. 
   All in all, comments such as "You need to wash your hair." and "What's that in your hair" have begun to hurt and I have to  find a time efficient, affordable solution.

Click the photos below to get a better view of my scalp issues

No comments: